Re: Sie/hir

Subject: Re: Sie/hir
From: saphyre -at- NETCOM -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 1994 15:18:02 GMT

awilson -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com wrote:
: I have to say I don't understand "sie/hir." How is it supposed to be used,
: and if the terms are supposed to mask gender, why are there two terms
: instead of just one? Seems to me you could easily suppose that "sie" means
: "his" and "hir" means "her."

sie is used to replace he/she
hir is used to replace his/her

I believe these terms originated somewhere in the feminist movement,
but I have seen them and used them mostly on the net.

Sample:
What's hir problem? Sie walked in with a chip on hir shoulder, and
sie's been glowering in the corner ever since.

Jo

saphyre -at- netcom -dot- com / / Technical Writing -
/ / The art of explaining
/ / ___ a technical subject
/ / / / so that any idiot
____/ / / / / can understand it.