Copyediting tests for employment

Subject: Copyediting tests for employment
From: "Katharine Y. Flight" <kflight -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 1994 21:13:03 -0800

Hello techwr-l list members,

I am researching an article for my local STC chapter newsletter. The
topic is "editing skills tests used as screening tools for hiring
editors." I have at least one article on the subject written by
an experienced editor from the San Diego area, but I would certainly
welcome any comments or information anyone would like to contribute.
Of course, if I receive something that I would like to use in my
article, I will seek permission and provide anonymity or attribution
as you prefer.

The questions I have in mind are the following:

1) If you have taken one or more editing test in order to get a job,
what was your experience like? Did you find the test difficult
or easy? Did you enjoy the experience or learn from it? What
percentage of employers you have interviewed with have asked you
to take this test? Can you recommend any special preparation or
tips on how to handle these tests? Did you win or lose a job
as a result of taking an editing test?

2) If you have administered one of these tests, did you find them
useful in screening candidates? Are there particular areas of
subject matter or skills that you look for or consider most
valuable? Do you use them routinely in hiring, or only for
certain positions or assignments?

I am most interested in your opinions, although I would also welcome
examples of tests (I know -- that's like giving out the answers before
the final), but perhaps an old test that isn't used anymore could be
made available, even just a short excerpt. I am not going to try to
do any statistical analysis -- just a survey of attitudes and experiences.
The article I have now gives some excellent basic info on what the tests
look like and what they attempt to identify.

Anyway, any feedback -- even a sentence or two -- is welcome and
appreciated. I will check the techwr-l digest for responses and anyone
who would like to respond directly to me can send to kflight -at- netcom -dot- com -dot-

Thanks for any help in advance.

-Katharine Flight