Re: Resume Length

Subject: Re: Resume Length
From: Glen Accardo <glen -at- SOFTINT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 1994 09:36:10 -0600

> Sometimes employers want to know who you *really* are and do
> focus on the other things in life and sometimes in the interview
> they are simply looking for a "handle."

I would caution against hobbies on resumes. My typical weekends involve
rock climbing and solo backpacking in fairly remote areas. While I put
"safe" hobbies on my resume, I don't want common misperceptions of
certain activities adversely affecting my chance of getting a job.
As Barb Philbrick cautioned, playing in a rock band may mean that you
are musical, but a fair percentage of people will view it as indicative
of a wild, drunken lifestyle.

I would also caution against the nauseatingly boring "sports" and "reading"
as hobbies. Being generic is as bad as being dangerous or wild.

glen accardo glen -at- softint -dot- com
Software Interfaces, Inc. (713) 492-0707 x122
Houston, TX 77084

Did the Corinthians ever write back?