Re: Login, Log in, Log into

Subject: Re: Login, Log in, Log into
From: "John M. Gear" <catalyst -at- PACIFIER -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 1994 13:29:00 PDT

Choice: Connect to the network
Why: Because it's a more meaningful metaphor to me and, I think, many
others. I've never had to explain that "connect" means to log in but I
*have* had to explain what login means, and it always seems to wind up
meaning connecting. I think the widespread use of telephones is helpful to
us in explaining things. Most people are comfortable with the idea of an
electronic connection being something like (not in these terms)
"Establishing a signal path over which data can be transferred." They do it
all the time with their telephones. So I use it. My two cents anyway.

John Gear, Catalyst Consulting Services
Vancouver WA