Re: Commands Begining A Sentence

Subject: Re: Commands Begining A Sentence
From: Romay Jean Sitze <rositze -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 1994 08:23:09 -0600

Rob poses a question that has bothered me for some time as well. I guess
my personal preference would be to come up with some way to "set" the
designated lowercase word apart from the rest of the sentence using some
kind of typographic clues. Using all-caps might be confusing to some
readers. Some kind of bracket might work--but you would need to state at
the beginning of the document what convention you were using so that the
brackets do not become part of what the reader expects to have to enter.

Are there established conventions that we should all adopt? (I have seen
a variety employed.) It does seem that some kind of consistent approach
would be appropriate. I would be interested to hear what others are
doing/thinking along this line.

On Tue, 25 Oct 1994, Robert Sweitzer wrote:

> Hi all. I'm documenting software systems, and I have a question that
> I need some advice on. There are commands that must be entered in
> all lower case. The problem is when they appear at the beginning of
> a sentence and in headings. Do you:

> a) leave it all lower case
> b) initial capitalize it anyway
> c) all upper case (this is common here)
> d) rewrite the sentence so that the command is no longer the first word

> Any comments you can give would be greatly appreciated. You can post to me,
> and I will summarize and post it to the list.

> Rob Sweitzer
> rob -at- aluxs

* RoMay Sitze rositze -at- nmsu -dot- edu *
* Results! Why, man, I have gotten *
* a lot of results. I know several *
* thousand things that won't work. *
* Thomas A. Edison *