Re: info request

Subject: Re: info request
From: Aahz <aahz -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 1994 04:00:02 GMT

In article <199410182345 -dot- TAA16504 -at- bronze -dot- lcs -dot- mit -dot- edu>,
Beth Goodman <bgoodman -at- bronze -dot- lcs -dot- mit -dot- edu> wrote:
>I was told by a tech writer friend that y'all might be able to give me some
>pointers...I am looking for information about how the Net (in general)
>has/is changing written English lexically, semantically, and syntatically.
>This is for a research paper about dialects of English. Info about lexical
>differences is not hard to find but I have yet to stumble on any info about
>syntax differences *which are directly related to use of the Net*.

"Verbing weirds language." -- Bill Watterson

One change taking place in a number of social groups is the creation of
new gender-neutral pronouns. The oldest form that I'm aware of is "sie"
and "hir"; the only other significant form seems to be "zie" and "zir".

Another common difference is typographical: most hackers avoid placing
punctuation inside quotes unless the phrase being quoted requires it.
--
--- Aahz (@netcom.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6
Androgynous kinky vanilla queer het

Usenet is not a democracy. It is a weird cross between an anarchy
and a dictatorship.