Re: Dialect survey

Subject: Re: Dialect survey
From: Watson Laughton <LAUGHTON%ALLOY -dot- BITNET -at- PUCC -dot- PRINCETON -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 1994 13:42:00 EDT

Nora writes:
>>Can anybody tell me what a PA accent is?<<

I don't know how folks talk in Western PA, but out thisaway (Philadelphia northe
ast to New Jersey) the PA accent is so
thick you could cut it with a knife. I couldn't _believe_
it when I first got into a room with a bunch of locals... I
thought I was in a foreign country!

It's kind of hard to describe exactly what it sounds like..
when I first heard it, I thought it was some kind of mutated
British accent..."Toym tew phewwn hewwm" is the way they would
say "time to phone home"..

laughton%alloy -dot- bitnet -at- pucc -dot- princeton -dot- edu