Re: Why Internships?

Subject: Re: Why Internships?
From: Shelly LaRock <smlarock -at- MTU -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 1994 19:19:05 EDT

I think it goes farther than just cheap labor. I worked
for a company this summer. Because it was contract
work, not many people knew I was a college student.
I even managed to show a few people a few new things
being taught in colleges and universities today, that
weren't being taught five years ago!

Sure, I made a lot less than the other writers, but it
was a good learning experience for me, which I value
quite a bit more than the $$$. Since most people
thought I was just another contract writer, nobody
ever said, "Well, she's only a student, so don't give
her anything too hard to work on." I think it's
quite a misconception that college students can't
do a lot of the same work as you folks who have been
out in industry a few years.

I agree with the response about a company being able
to "mold" students to there needs. I know a lot of
students who have worked for a company for a summer
or two who have been hired by the same company right
after graduation. There's no training period for
these people, as they're already familiar with the
company and job responsibilities.

Ok, ok, I'll stop. Good luck!

Shelly La Rock
smlarock -at- mtu -dot- edu