Tech Writing as a career

Subject: Tech Writing as a career
From: James E Driggers <jaredle -at- CRL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 1994 00:13:16 -0700

I have a bunch of questions to ask those who do technical writing as a
career. I am thinking about becoming a technical writer, and would like
to hear what it's like. If these questions are already in a FAQ, could
someone point me where I can get it. If this group doesn't have a FAQ,
perhaps these would be a good starting point. Anyway, here's the questions:

a. What do you do over the course of a day as a writer?
b. How did you get your first job as a writer?
c. What kind of skills did you have starting out?
d. What kind of skills are needed now starting out?
e. What's best/worst part of being a writer?
f. What advice would you give someone thinking about writing as a career?
g. What kind of advancement opportunities are there as a writer?
h. What kind of money can be made at entry level? After 1-3 years?
i. With strong writing skills, a BA in sociology and much clerical type
experience, but next to none in programming, what kind of chance do I
have getting a job as a tech writer?

Please answer what questions you will and a heartfelt thanks for your time.

Jim Driggers