Job Offers

Subject: Job Offers
From: Sering <cmdavis -at- OURAY -dot- DENVER -dot- COLORADO -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 1994 18:44:14 -0600

I have never been in such a favorable position, so I'm not sure what to
do. I am contemplating an offer from another company while I still have a
pretty good job with my present company (wow). There are beneficial
aspects to accepting a job/retaining a job with either of them. The place
where I am is a pretty good company, but I have reached a plateau there
and need something fairly drastic (a good promotion, substantial pay
increase, etc.) to happen there for me to really want to stay. So the
issue is: Do I tell my present employer that I am exploring opportunities
elsewhere? Do I wait until I receive an offer from the other company and
then ask if my current employer can match or exceed the offer? Do I
accept the offer (when and if it comes in), turn in my two weeks notice,
and never look back? Do I play each company off of the other (this seems
a little sleazy)? My present company has been a good employer for almost
three years, so I want to handle this ethically, burn no bridges, but want
the best situation for myself. How are these things handled?

For that matter, is two weeks an acceptable amount of notice?

Real Name withheld in case anyone knows me....Personal replies will
receive personal answers, but if you just want to share your thoughts
with the group that's okay, too. If any of you can share your experience
with me I would very much appreciate it. -thanks, "Lee"