Re: Resume length

Subject: Re: Resume length
From: Nora Merhar <merhar -at- ALENA -dot- SWITCH -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 1994 13:53:59 CDT

unless I switch to an
8pt font, I simply cannot fit all of my specialized course work, education,
work experience, honors, awards, and extracurriculars on one page.

Golly, Shelly! Haven't you had any FUN?

(I guess I spent too much time in college going to clubs and generally mis-
behaving).

Seriously, though, you don't want to look like a complete show-off. I would list
all software packages, bulleted (it shows that you are flexible), but I would
leave off all extracurricular and community-type stuff (but by all means,
mention it in your interview).

When I first started interviewing, about 4 years ago, I had a 2-page resume that
contained all my course work, blah blah blah. I think after you get your first
job, you can leave that off. In any case, highlight your experience rather than
your course work.

Does that help?

Nora
merhar -at- alena -dot- switch.rockwell.com