Associations other than STC

Subject: Associations other than STC
From: Marc Paquette <paquette -at- INFINITY -dot- METROWERKS -dot- CA>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 1994 11:30:44 -0500

Hello, all,

Here is the summary of technical communication associations other than the
Society for Technical Communication (STC) that some techwr-lers are members
of.

Nine people responded through the techwr-l mail list and directly to my
e-mail address. The associations they mentioned and the e-mail
addresses and names of the people who mentioned them are (in no
particular order):

- ASTD (American Society of Training and Development)
merhar -at- alena -dot- switch -dot- rockwell -dot- com (Nora Merhar)
Joan Smith <jsmith -at- encore -dot- com>

- NSPI (National Society of Performance and Instruction)
merhar -at- alena -dot- switch -dot- rockwell -dot- com (Nora Merhar)
Elaine Winters <ewinters -at- netcom -dot- com>

- American Medical Writers Association
tscom005 -at- dunx1 -dot- ocs -dot- drexel -dot- edu (mrg)

- Council of Biology Editors
tscom005 -at- dunx1 -dot- ocs -dot- drexel -dot- edu (mrg)

- International Interactive Communication Society
Elaine Winters <ewinters -at- netcom -dot- com>

- International Society for Intercultural Education Training and Research
Elaine Winters <ewinters -at- netcom -dot- com>

- IEEE Society of Professional Communication
Jan Bates <bates -at- KINGFISH -dot- ATT -dot- COM>
Ad absurdum per aspera <JTCHEW -at- LBL -dot- GOV>

- Computer Society of IEEE.
srm -at- c2 -dot- org (Richard Mateosian)

- In the metro Boston area, there is the Society of Documentation
Professionals.
RJLIPPINCOTT -at- delphi -dot- com (Rick Lippincott)

Facts and quotes that I find useful (and you will too, I hope):

- "[IEEE has] a good conference and a good journal in my extremely
biased opinion...."
Ad absurdum per aspera, "Joe" <JTCHEW -at- LBL -dot- GOV>

- "IEEE also has several other member Societies that technical
communicators might be interested in. Upon joining IEEE, you
will at some point be presented with a menu of them."
Ad absurdum per aspera, "Joe" <JTCHEW -at- LBL -dot- GOV>

- "If you'd like to see a list of related organizations, contact
your STC chapter president. He/she receives an STC Administrative
Directory, which has a long list of related organizations."
kendal -at- Autotrol -dot- cuc -dot- ab -dot- ca (Ken d'Albenas)

[discussion provocation on]

What am I going to do with this new knowledge?
Well, I only have about a total of 1.5 years of experience in technical
writing. I think that at this stage in my career game, I should broaden
my horizons--I write software doc now, so I think I'll join an association
_not_ related to software or computers, or anything else Metrowerks,
my employer, is involved in.

In other words, while specialization is in right now, my experience
is not strong enough for me to risk concentrating in one field.
I see spreading my professional interests across a few fields as more
important now. Later when I have more credentials, I'll concentrate
on the thing(s) that interest me most.

What do you think? What has been your experience?

[discussion provocation off]

Marc Paquette internet: paquette -at- metrowerks -dot- ca
Technical Publications
Metrowerks Inc. voice: (514) 747-5999 ext 232