Re: Resumes

Subject: Re: Resumes
From: Gwen Gall <ggall -at- CA -dot- ORACLE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 1994 11:28:09 EDT

Regarding resumes, I have a new question to pose to the group.

A recent ad for technical writers at a local company asked that resumes be
sent to:
human resourses person's name
address of company

But--they included the division's (not the hr, the division the job was in)
internet email address in the ad, but at the bottom, not as part of the
"address to send to".

Now, my question is: would there have been anything wrong with responding by
sending as ascii version of a resume to that email address? Did they expect
this, or were they just including the email address to prove that they are hip
and up-to-the-moment and real high tech.? (Note: the ad was for software
engineers and programmers also.) Also, would an ascii version be sufficient?
After all, it's part of our skill set to make a nice-looking document, oui?
Or, how about sending ascii, with a note that snailmail will follow?

On a related note: if Internet email was available, would it be appropriate to
send a PostScript file of your resume, and expect them to print it out? This
would get your resume "in the door" a heck of alot faster than snailmail, and
apparently employers still give some credit to those who are fast off the mark.

Take care, and may your dog go with you.

Gwen (ggall -at- ca -dot- oracle -dot- com)

% Recent fortune cookie gem: %
% %
% "From listening comes wisdom, %
% from speaking, repentance." %
% %
% So Confucius subscribed to an e-mail list? %