Re: C++ Book

Subject: Re: C++ Book
From: Aahz <aahz -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 1994 21:37:56 GMT

In article <2E9E7E34 -at- atx028s -dot- kc -dot- bv -dot- com>,
Johns, David <14615johns -at- kcpbldg05 -dot- bv -dot- com> wrote:
>non-programmers about object-oriented programming, I don't know of any.
> However, the best book I've read on C++ programming techniques is "Learning
>C++: A Hands-On Approach" by Eric Nagler, West Publishing Company, P.O. Box
>64526, St. Paul, MN 55164-0526. Unlike other C++ books, it doesn't inundate
>the reader with code, and the code examples are relatively easy to follow.

??? I'll agree that a tutorial with nothing but code is relatively
useless, but the more good, high-quality code, the better.

Counter-example: "The Joy of C" contains a lot of pretty bad examples;
the worst one is the use of function prototypes inside main(). This
goes with the assertion of one of my co-workers that there's a lot more
to programming than the ability to crank out code -- you need to
understand the general programming culture to write programs that are
readable by others.
--
--- Aahz (@netcom.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6
Androgynous kinky vanilla queer het

The best way to get information on Usenet is not to ask a question,
but to post the wrong information.