Re: Approximations

Subject: Re: Approximations
From: Gwen Gall <ggall -at- CA -dot- ORACLE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 1994 14:22:30 EDT

Lallie Heard askss:

Opinions, please. Here are two versions of a standard that tells users
when they should use a particular command:

1. Use the PREPARE statement for SQL statements that an application uses
_many_ times.

2. Use the PREPARE statement for SQL statements that an application uses
_more than about 10_ times.

The problem seems to be that what constitutes "many" is in the eyes of
the beholder. It's arbitrary, depending on many undefinable variables. Too
much use of a statement by an application results in degradation of the
performance of the application, but depending on what statement is being
used and the amount of data being returned, what might be "many" in one
situation could be "hardly any" in another. I don't think "more than
about" a finite number helps much. What to do?

Lallie Heard
lheard -at- st6000 -dot- sct -dot- edu
********************************

Lallie, I think you answer your own question in your discussion. If you use
"many", which I believe you should, you need to add the extra information. You
probably already intend to do this--in which case, I have no problem with
"many".

I find "about 10 times" objectionable, because it is arbitrary, and
again, still isn't explained (or even true, if the conditions are so variable).

From the content of your example, sounds like I may be "advising the
competition".

(P.S. Do you say ess-queue-elle, or sequel ;-) )

Take care, and may your dog go with you,

Gwen (ggall -at- ca -dot- oracle -dot- com)