How one fellow sees us

Subject: How one fellow sees us
From: Watson Laughton <LAUGHTON%ALLOY -dot- BITNET -at- PUCC -dot- PRINCETON -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 1994 11:23:00 EDT

karenk -at- netcom -dot- com writes:

>>I'm not at all sure about quoting the entire message
>>in a response. On the other hand, if that's part of an
>>ongoing conversation, I suppose it could be construed as
>>fair use. This strikes me as very different in intent
>>(though also poor manners, of course) because it's in
>>the same forum.

Quoting messages in their entirety in a reply may not
violate copywrite law, but, in my opninion, this
violates the most basic laws of on-line decency. If
I had a nickel for every message I've read where I have
to page through 2 or 3 or 4 (or more <gak!>) screens of
original quotes to get to "I agree!" or "No, I don't think
so", I could buy the internet and implement a net-wide
filter that would block _ANY_ message with more than two
or three sentences of quote-back. Sometimes people get
so caught up in quoting the message they're replying to,
they even forget to add their reply at the end!!!

laughton%alloy -dot- bitnet -at- pucc -dot- princeton -dot- edu