Re: Screen Fatigue

Subject: Re: Screen Fatigue
From: Gwen Gall <ggall -at- CA -dot- ORACLE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 1994 16:03:48 EDT

Michael Priestly quoted, then replied:

>"ease of use." Because the resolution of information displayed on a
>computer screen is, at best, a small fraction of the resolution of 10,000
>dots per sq. mm. for information in a typeset document, fatigue sets in
>more quickly when reading online documentation.

I don't think this has much to do with resolution. I've never noticed
any fatigue in myself when reading dot matrix, for example. There have
been testimonials on alt.hypertext (responding to a similar thread) of
people having read full-length novels (mostly on small portables with
LCD screens, which they claimed were more readable). I think the fatigue
has much more to do with the limited number of postures available when your
reading material is in a fixed position (try reading from a lectern for an
hour or three).
*********************************

Ah, but studies show that screens do indeed cause fatigue--particularly
interlaced screens, where the pixels must be drawn twice to acheive full
resolution. That's why you pay the big bucks for "non-interlaced" screens.

LCD doesn't have that problem, of course.

Doesn't anyone else here get fatigued while reading a book, though? The
contrast of black on white is known to cause eye-strain, and I fall asleep
or get restless sometimes....depends on the book, of course!

Cheers,

Gwen (ggall -at- ca -dot- oracle -dot- com)

"The question is not the size of your intelligence,
but how you use the little amount of it you might have."

--Sir John Gielgud