Re: Using the word shall

Subject: Re: Using the word shall
From: Romay Jean Sitze <rositze -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 1994 11:36:43 -0600

IMO, Rick just provided ample proof that discussions of grammar related
topics are appropriate for our consideration. Many of us have occasion,
whether frequently or not, to write documentation which must conform to
military standards. thus it behooves us to be aware of such distinctions.

Additionally, we all should be aware of possible legal implications in
what we write--for outselves and the companies we represent. It is not
unheard of for a point of law to be determined by a point of grammar.

On Wed, 5
Oct 1994, Rick Lippincott wrote:

> You've probably already got a response to this effect, but here's an example
> of "shall", "will", "should" and "may" as defined for inclusion in U.S.
> Military manuals. (This is a quote from USAF TO 1C-5A-1, the flight manual
> for the Lockheed C-5 Galaxy transport aircraft)

> Shall -- Construed to mean that the requirements are binding or mandatory.
> Will -- Used to express a declaration of purose. This term is used in
> descriptive material only, not in procedural information.
> Should -- Used to express a non mandatory desire or preferred method of
> accomplishment and shall be construed as a non mandatory provision.
> May -- Used to express an acceptable or suggested means of accomplishment
> and shall be construed as a non mandatory provision.

> (Notice how they started using "shall" before they were even done with the
> definitions?)

> If I were reading marketing material, and saw the word "shall" in the
> context of "This product shall exceed your specifications" or "Our machine
> shall produce 1,000 widgets per hour", I'd take it as a statment of
> guarantee, and if the product didn't meet that standard, I might just end up
> talking to my lawyer....

> Rick Lippincott
> rjlippincott -at- delphi -dot- com

* RoMay Sitze rositze -at- nmsu -dot- edu *
* Mirrors should reflect a *
* little before throwing *
* back images. *
* -Jean Cocteau- *