Not exactly what you want

Subject: Not exactly what you want
From: GKushmerek -at- INFONET -dot- TUFTS -dot- EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 1994 09:10:54 EDT

OK - I know that you were asking for information about a Mac-based product,
but I thought I'd share this 'just in case.' Consider it an FYI at the
least.

There is a tool out there called Searchmanager/2 (nicknamed 'Bloodhound')
that is one of the better text-searching tools of which I've ever heard.
I haven't used it, and I don't own stock in it (well, my retirment fund
might ;-).

What this tool does is find text based on (not matching) your search
parameter. This is more than a thesaurus at work here. If you type in
'car' it will find "Chrysler." It will find groups of names in various
spellings (including misspellings) based on some root word. Now I'm
doing all of this from memory, but it supposedly can get people even
if you put in their titles (the document has to define their title at some
point, but not immediately preceding the name).

IBM created the product back in the 70's when the government had their
anti-trust suit going on against them. The company used it to search
volumes of legal documents for relevant information. Today it's available
on the OS/2 platform. I have heard nothing but rave reviews from anyone
who's seen the product, and the write-ups sound quite impressive. If it's
something in which you have a need, I'd recommend researching it some more.

I have an article in my library (read: piles of stuff) at home and would
be happy to bring it in and give more specific information to anyone
interested.

Cheers,

--gk

Greg Kushmerek