Ratio of Writers to Engineers

Subject: Ratio of Writers to Engineers
From: CHUCK PETCH <PETCH -at- GVG47 -dot- GVG -dot- TEK -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 1994 14:17:41 -0700

For those of you who are writing end-user documentation for electronic
hardware/software systems, what is the ratio of engineers to writers where you
work? Several years ago we had a ratio that I considered ideal at 4 to 1. Now
that ratio has risen to 6.8 to 1 and we are swamped. Do you consider this ratio
a reasonable measure for determining staffing levels? Responses by e-mail
appreciated because I get the list in digest form and don't always have time to
read it all. If I get a lot of responses, I'll be glad to summarize them and
post them.

Chuck Petch
petch -at- gvg47 -dot- gvg -dot- tek -dot- com