Re: Redefining Instructions (was "Sam Clemens is dead")

Subject: Re: Redefining Instructions (was "Sam Clemens is dead")
From: Romay Jean Sitze <rositze -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 1994 11:34:16 -0600

On Tue, 4 Oct 1994, doug montalbano wrote:

> Perhaps instead of arguing whether paper or online would be
> better, you-all could discuss which parts of the documentation
> would be better suited online, and which in paper manuals.
> Although not a software writer, I could make a guess that the
> most task-oriented instructions would go online and just about
> everything else into the 5-foot shelf.

I like this suggestion. As a relative newcomer to this field, I would
love to see more discussion in this area. How could we most effectively
exploit _both_ forms of documentation. I really don't see either one
"dying" in the immediate future--for any number of reasons. However, it
does seem to me that as writers, we should be looking at making the most
effective use both forms.

* RoMay Sitze rositze -at- nmsu -dot- edu *
* Mirrors should reflect a *
* little before throwing *
* back images. *
* -Jean Cocteau- *