Re: graduate degrees?

Subject: Re: graduate degrees?
From: Nora Merhar <merhar -at- ALENA -dot- SWITCH -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 1994 08:27:02 CDT

Hey y'all,

In reference to graduate degrees--I have a BA in English, and a Master's degree
in Technical Writing. My MA program, at Bowling Green State University,
emphasized the practical more than the theoretical.

I didn't even know what technical writing was until I showed up at BGSU (I was
initially a literature major), so of course getting an MA was valuable to me.

In my experience so far, the MA wasn't necessary, but _seems_ to command a
certain amount of respect from my peers (it's true--people are impressed
when you get an advanced degree, despite the anti-intellectual tone of American
society) and also seems to have put me on a higher payscale than other tech
writers around (I think that the degree counts with employers as experience).

I have also been told that the more advanced degrees government contractors can
show in their employ, the better the government likes it--but this could be a
myth.

I would say that an advanced degree isn't necessary, but I've never been told
that I was OVERqualified because of it, and anything you can do to make yourself
stand out in the job market is good.

Nora
merhar -at- alena -dot- switch -dot- rockwell -dot- com