Re: Sam Clemens is dead

Subject: Re: Sam Clemens is dead
From: John Russell <johnr -at- BRS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 1994 13:36:59 EDT

> I never said that online documentation would replace paper software manuals.

Then what *did* you say?

> What I tried to convey is that the essentially linear and passive medium of
> paper (or online) manuals cannot represent the complexity of modern software
> packages.

Why didn't you say this to begin with? This is a much more specific point
than your original statements.

Even so, however, I don't think you reasonably want to uphold this argument.
Documentation *shouldn't* represent the complexity of modern software. Quite
the contrary. Documentation should be simple and easy so as to make the
huge monsters we create manageable and less intimidating.

Care to try again? You'll probably be even more specific next time.

--

kjr
johnr -at- lurch -dot- brs -dot- com

|/ K. John Russell \|