Re: Overseas work

Subject: Re: Overseas work
From: Karen Kay <karenk -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 1994 00:47:17 -0700

David Dubin said:
> Steve, please don't think this is a flame, as it isn't. You were not wrong in
> your perceptions, but your perceptions were for the wrong country, and the
> wrong person.

The point of all of this is that it varies from place to place. And
even within a country. Everyone's experiences are different. When I
first went to Japan in 1973, I washed my hair in cold (mountain
stream) water outdoors, and the honeywagon came around once a month to
vacuum the toilet (i.e., it didn't flush). Now, I know people in Japan
who still live in these conditions, but most of 'em aren't in Tokyo,
where most foreigners are. Situations vary. I thought everything that
everyone has said has been useful. Nothing can prepare you entirely
for YOUR situation.

Also, the point about living standard being better or worse--some of
that is dependent on whether or not you are getting paid in dollars or
in the native currency.

Karen
karenk -at- netcom -dot- com