Re: Sam Clemens is dead

Subject: Re: Sam Clemens is dead
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- C2 -dot- ORG>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 1994 08:32:20 -0700

>Well, I might very well agree with you on many of these points. But until
>you tell me, specifically, what those points are, I can neither agree nor
>disagree. And I certainly can't argue with you. I'm surprised I indulged you
>this much.

Thanks for your indulgence. I didn't really want an argument. I'm glad you
took time to think about the points I made.

Let me expand on points one and two by saying that I believe that there are
more significant paths through the software and more relevant interactions
of features than you could possibly include in a 1000-page manual in 9-point
type. Therefore, it seems to me, that (1) you can't learn (meaning
understand completely) the software (meaning all of its features and
interactions) from a manual, and (2) it's only going to get worse as
programs get bigger and more complex. ...RM

Richard Mateosian Technical Writer in Berkeley CA srm -at- c2 -dot- org