Re: Opinions on instruction style

Subject: Re: Opinions on instruction style
From: Virginia Krenn <asdxvlk -at- OKWAY -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 1994 09:34:20 CDT

I agree with you! When I was project manager for the development of a
new computer system, I had to edit the program, job, and user
documentation submitted by other programmers on the project. If the word
desire was used, I marked it for deletion and added alternative
suggestions. There are much better words and phrases that can be used to
convey the message.

Virginia

Author: WandaJane Phillips <wandajp -at- andyne -dot- on -dot- ca> at SMTP

Hello out there,

Thankyou all for being there, whether you have an opinion on this or
not.

I'm running into a bit of a conflict here and I want some outside
opinions. The interface for the product I'm working on involves a lot
of selecting items from lists. Every time they instruct a user to
select an item from a list, the other writers use the phrase "Choose
the desired..." fill in the blank item. This drives me bananas but if
enough of you tell me I'm a fool and I should just settle down then,
I'll drink less coffee, more juice, and I'll practice breathing
exercises.

I don't DESIRE any of the options I select during a session with a
software product. I don't DESIRE a particular font, or size, or data
source. I use them to produce a desired result, if you want to include,
if you NEED to include, desire in the whole process.

I had been writing "Choose the appropriate..." or "Choose a..." but in
reviewing some text recently I saw that all my phrases had been changed
to read "Choose the desired..."

Please help. Tell me to settle down, or tell me a better way, but tell
me....

again, thanks (I don't dare say tanks after the recent discussion
amongst the Americans online)

.. waja ...
opinions?! opinions?! we don't need no stinking opinions!
don't sit under the Bodhi tree with anyone else but me... anyone else
but me...