Ergonomic Keyboard

Subject: Ergonomic Keyboard
From: Tracey Showalter <tshowalt -at- SCTCORP -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 1994 11:11:38 -0500

Hi All!

This is an unabashed adulatory (and long-winded, too) posting regarding the
keyboard I've been using since June. If you aren't interested, you probably
want to stretch that little finger a long ways and exercise that
un-ergonomically sound "delete" key.

To backtrack a tad: I have carpal tunnel syndrome and have had a carpal
tunnel release done on both hands. Plus the ever-lovely ever-present
tendonitis from above the elbows to the fingertips. I've tried a horde of
anti-inflammatories (from aspirin to hard core prescription). There is an
extended family of wrist braces, splints, and miscellaneous supports in my
desk drawers. I've used a sliding wrist support "trolley" and jointed elbow
supports. My keyboards have all lived on an adjustable platform. I have an
orthopedic chair.

With all this, the thing that has helped the most is a new keyboard. I've
tried others, which for a variety of reasons did not work.

The keyboard is made by Kinesis Corporation in Washington. #001#The keys,
which are in a modified QWERTY layout, have been divided in half, moved
outwards and set into concave wells. The result is that the keys are directly
underneath your fingers and in front of your shoulders. They are slightly
smaller and closer together than a traditional board and are placed in a
straight line, which reduced the amount of sideways travel and reaching that
is typically required. Keys that are used often (Ctrl, Alt, Command, Option,
Enter, Backspace, Delete, Home, End, Page Up, and Page Down) have been moved
to the inside, so that they are under the thumbs (the strongest fingers, as
opposed to the pinky, the weakest finger). There is a slight bend in the
board and the wells, which helps to relieve ulnar rotation.

It took me about a day to adjust to the "weirdness" of the keyboard. I love
this keyboard--I can type again without being in pain--and just thought I
ought to let others know of its existence.

If anyone is interested in information about this keyboard, let me know and
I'll send you the address.

Tracey Showalter
tshowalt -at- sctcorp -dot- com