Re: Online versus paper

Subject: Re: Online versus paper
From: Kat Nagel <KatNagel -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 1994 08:37:47 EDT

Rich writes:
"I've read that IBM has already demonstrated an animated
character or "talking head" that pops up on your desktop to
offer help in a more human-friendly way. I think that
the character is user customizable to a certain extent
so that you consider him (or her) to be your helpful
neighbor on the other side of the screen. Maybe one of the
IBMers on the list has some more info on this?"
---

I have a vague memory of seeing this sort of thing in the Mac world, too.
Cute at first, but after a few repititions he became very irritating.

I had the same reaction to those copiers in the early 80s that recited
"please remove your original" immediately after you made a copy. The first
time I heard it I was impressed with the cleverness of it. The second time
was good for a laugh. After a few days, however, we got a screwdriver and
dismantled the thing.

When the technology improves enough to allow flexible responses and alternate
phrasings, it will be useful for novices learning a new application. I'm not
sure the experienced user, who just needs to refresh his/her memory, will
tolerate the pseudo-personal approach.

@kat
katnagel -at- aol -dot- com