Re: Online/print

Subject: Re: Online/print
From: mpriestley -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 1994 17:33:17 EDT

Richard Sobocinski writes:
>explains the details of the resident macro language. The
>online help may show you how to _record_ a simple macro, but
>you need the paper docs to script functions that can't be
>obtained by mimicking keystrokes (like IF, TRUE, FALSE
>statements).

Depends on the editor. The editor I use (right now it's only available in
conjunction with some other higher-end IBM products for programmers,
but it's certainly an editor) contains a complete reference for standard
commands and for macro-writing. For the ambitious, it even provides
an integrated C language reference (it allows you to write macros in C/C++).
Everything that exists in the hardcopy exists online. I learned it from
the online help, and didn't check the hardcopy until recently, when I got
desparate trying to find the answer to a question (of course the hardcopy
didn't help either, but it took me longer to figure that out without full-text
search).

So there's at least one "power user" out there who learned from online only.

Take care,

Michael Priestley
mpriestley -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com
Disclaimer: speaking on my own behalf, not IBM's.