Re: Online versus paper

Subject: Re: Online versus paper
From: Richard Sobocinski <"Richard_G_Sobocinski%~WHC207"@CCMAIL.PNL.GOV>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 1994 07:51:00 -0700

On the general thread of online vs manuals. The actual data shows that users
learn from one another far more than from any of the systems we
develop for them to learn from. I think the trick is to make the Help a
system
offers people as friendly and helpful as their workmate
across the aisle or their friend next door. And it won't drink all your beer
or
eat your chips!

Mary Deaton
KNOWware: Information You Can Use
I've read that IBM has already demonstrated an animated
character or "talking head" that pops up on your desktop to
offer help in a more human-friendly way. I think that
the character is user customizable to a certain extent
so that you consider him (or her) to be your helpful
neighbor on the other side of the screen. Maybe one of the
IBMers on the list has some more info on this?

Rich