Re: Inc/decrement, vt.

Subject: Re: Inc/decrement, vt.
From: Romay Jean Sitze <rositze -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 1994 23:12:33 -0600

An intriguing dilemma. I can't recall ever seeing "increments" and
"decrements" used as other than NOUNS. However, I'm willing to
acknowledge that language evolves. . .

On Tue, 20 Sep 1994, Richard Mateosian
wrote:

> > "increments" and "decrements" were used as VERBS!

> I have been using these verbs for about 30 years, and I was astonished to
> discover today that they ain't in the dictionary.

> May I have a show of hands on this one? Did you know that these verbs aren't
> verbs? Do only programmers increment registers?

> Email (another good verb) me your response, and I'll summarize. ...RM

> Richard Mateosian Technical Writer in Berkeley CA srm -at- c2 -dot- org

* RoMay Sitze rositze -at- nmsu -dot- edu *
* Only the curious wil learn and only the resolute overcome the *
* obstacles to learning. The quest quotient has always excited *
* me more than the intelligence quotient. -Eugene S. Wilson_ *