Re: online/manual

Subject: Re: online/manual
From: Mike Beyries <beyries -at- CSISDN -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 1994 08:55:43 PDT

I don't think I've ever seen a "graphical browser" for help, such as
that described by Tina Samson (kms -at- PLAZA -dot- DS -dot- ADP -dot- COM), but if it's
anything like the on-screen map shown in video/Nintendo games such
as Zelda -- I _know_ people of the X and X- generation will relate
to it well. I'm more of the B-B generation myself, and I still
recall marveling at how helpful these displays are. (but I don't
play the games myself, you understand ;-)

For those who may not know what I'm talking about, on many "adventure-style"
video games, the players move from room to room in no particular order or
direction, and a graphic can be shown that indicates which rooms/areas
have been visited and which have not. In many games, the player must earn
the right to see the graphic, and sometimes only part of it is revealed.
Maybe online help is like such a game, which of course is also related
to the good ol' textual Unix "adventure" program.

Mike Beyries (beyries -at- csisdn -dot- com) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Documentation, SQA, Development Support | If I loosen my bridle on the |
Located at Connective Strategies, Inc. | press, I shall not stay in |
Mountain View, California, U.S.A. | power for three months. |
Phone 415-903-8382 (ISDN) or -2589 | -- Napoleon Bonaparte |
Probably *not* CSI's corporate opinion ! - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -