Re: Why manuals?

Subject: Re: Why manuals?
From: Jerry Blackerby <exujbl -at- EXU -dot- ERICSSON -dot- SE>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 1994 06:30:58 -0500

In article BAA26796 -at- infinity -dot- c2 -dot- org, Richard Mateosian <srm -at- c2 -dot- org> writes:
> Nobody has ever learned FrameMaker4 or Word6 or Photoshop3 or any other
> major package by reading the paper documentation supplied with it.

I beg to differ with Richard. I learned FrameMaker, Word Perfect,
and Wordstar from the paper manuals only. On-line documentation
is great, but paper will still be with us for many years. Some users
prefer paper.

On-line, hypertext-style, documentation is ideal for some applications
but not all. I created a hypertext-style, on-line system for a
fill-in-the-blank system in 1983. It was ideal for that application
because the user could select help at any blank and see what to
enter.

Jerry
,___
__{_-.x.-_}__ Jerry Blackerby _| ~~. Practice random kindness
(_____________) 214-907-7810 (w) \, _} and senseless acts of
[_______]