Re: Tenses, Gender & Number

Subject: Re: Tenses, Gender & Number
From: Laura Johnson <lauraj -at- CND -dot- HP -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 1994 16:31:13 GMT

Doug, Data Librarian at Ext 4225 (engstromdd -at- phibred -dot- com) wrote:
: Bob was baffled and offended by the following passage from vocational
: regulations:

: ************************************
: "Tenses, Gender, and Number. As used in this chapter, the present tense
: includes the past and future tenses, and the future includes the present;
: the masculine gender includes the feminine, and the feminime includes the
: masculine; and the singular includes the plural, and the plural includes
: the singular."

"All words, unless otherwise defined, shall be interpreted as 'fish'; and
in any litigation arising from this document, the legal department of XYZ
Corp. shall be the final arbiter."

(We can't *really* criticize Bob for being baffled, can we??)

--
Laura Johnson * lauraj -at- fc -dot- hp -dot- com * Hewlett Packard NSMD * Ft. Collins, CO

"You have to remember that American publishers believe that their readers
are Spam-sucking trailer trash who'll buy whatever's shoved on the stand at
the local store, and it embarrasses them when they take an interest."
- Terry Pratchett