CD-ROM, Multimedia, and paper & ink . . .

Subject: CD-ROM, Multimedia, and paper & ink . . .
From: Elaine Winters <ewinters -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 1994 10:43:23 -0700

. . . I'm just completing my second CD-ROM project; I've had
some time to do a little thinking about this . . . no
conclusions! . . . just preliminary thoughts.

Developments in, and increasing use of, telecommunications,
videodiscs, and CD-ROM will totally transform the current
delivery systems. I don't think paper & ink will disappear.

In addition to our own roles as interpreters - - purveyors - -
of information, there is the whole realm of education (those of
us who write tutorials, pls note), which is slooowwwllly coming
around to looking at some of this.

There is an increasing DEMAND to look at everything holistically;
so that communicating information about technical issues must
be placed in the context of use; this forces us,increasingly,
to look at useablility issues, as well as globalization,
localization, and translation issues. Preparing information for
use beyond the region of origin has got to be part of the FIRST
planning session for any product or service.

Everywhere there is discussion about having more choices in
how information is delivered and acquired, with a focus on
process rather than content. Hence the rise of EPSS and
similar.

Just a few prelimary thoughts . . .
. . no real clues on where we might be headed; lots to consider.

Comments?

Elaine

E. Winters: Principal Program Facilitating and Consulting
Berkeley, CA, USA 510-843-0909 ewinters -at- netcom -dot- com
Instructional Design * Interactivity * Cross - Cultural Communication