To Vet or Not to Vet -Reply

Subject: To Vet or Not to Vet -Reply
From: "Mark D. Walker" <MWALKER -at- CONNECT4 -dot- SLC -dot- UNISYSGSG -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 1994 16:32:48 -0700

> People around me have taken to using the word 'vet' (sp?) in the
> context of checking and proofreading, e.g.: "Please vet this
> document and get it back to me ASAP". That denotation does not
> appear in any dictionary that I own. Am I spelling it wrong?

__________________________
REPLY

I have never heard the term before, either, in the context you
describe. However, I believe that in the U.K., many people refer to
taking their pets in for a checkup, shots, etc., as having the pet
"vetted" (i.e., taking it to the veterinarian).

Now for a completely off-the-wall guess. Could it be that referring
to checking and proofreading a document (especially a "pet" project)
as "vetting" it is becoming a new "buzz word?"

Mark Walker Cogito Ergo -- Huh?
(I Think, Therefore I Am Confused)