one more reason not to trust software

Subject: one more reason not to trust software
From: Matt Hicks <matt -at- UNIDATA -dot- UCAR -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 1994 09:13:37 -0600

As if we didn't have enough spellchecker horror stories, I'd like to warn
anyone who uses MS Word's hyphenation (and probably that of other
applications) to do so with caution. I was letting Word suggest
hyphenations for a document I was working on this weekend; in the course
of a couple of paragraphs, it offered the following two splits:

in-fras-truc-ture
or-ga-ni-za-tion

This experience has called to mind some bad breaks that I have seen in
magazines and newspapers of late, which I now suspect were artifacts of
letting software do all the work. Anyway, I don't think many of us are
foolish enough to not check something we let software alter, but I offer
this warning to those who might yield to the temptation as a deadline
approaches.

Matt Hicks, Tech. Writer, Unidata * I may not agree with what you
Boulder, CO, (303)497-8676, ******* say, but I'll defend to the
matt -at- unidata -dot- ucar -dot- edu ************* death my right to mock you.