Re: s or (s) or nothing?

Subject: Re: s or (s) or nothing?
From: Aahz <aahz -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 1994 14:11:51 GMT

In article <24 -dot- 1458 -dot- 3997 -dot- 0NB333A1 -at- pcohio -dot- com>,
Barb Philbrick <barb -dot- philbrick -at- pcohio -dot- com> wrote:
>How do you handle situations where you can have one or two items?

>I'm presently using "The secondary detector(s) sense the position of the
>strip . . .", but I don't like using (s). It also causes questions with
>the tense of the verb that follows.

I'd use, "One or two secondary detectors...." I believe that if the
number may be plural, noun and verb are plural.
--
--- Aahz (@netcom.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6
Androgynous kinky vanilla queer het

The best way to get information on Usenet is not to ask a question,
but to post the wrong information.