Re: He/She/They/It - Defending the Brits

Subject: Re: He/She/They/It - Defending the Brits
From: Louise Penberthy <louise -at- PRAVDA -dot- CC -dot- GATECH -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 1994 14:07:31 -0400

In article <2E6B6C06 -at- msmail-gw -dot- isl -dot- com>,
Rollings, Gill <WGILLR -at- wok-msmail-gw -dot- isl -dot- com> wrote:
>Louise Penberthy quotes thus from George F Hayhoe III's message:

>>PS--Would anyone seriously use "it" to refer to their child?

>and responds:
>>I think British people may use "it." I've seen it in books, for instance.

>Well, *I* have never seen "it" used to refer to a child in this way. I'd be
>fascinated to know which books you're referring to. [.....]

Unfortunately, I don't remember any of the titles now. They were
all books I read as a child. However, T.H. White's _Once and
Future King_ does, at the end, referring to the small child King
Arthur finds in the stable (if you read carefully, you can tell
that the child is (or will be) Sir Thomas Mallory -- nice touch).
I thought T.H White was British. If I'm wrong, there goes my
only solid evidence. :-)

-- Louise Penberthy

--
Louise Penberthy | O Goddess, keep me in the company of
LCC | those who seek the truth, and preserve