Re: PC documentaion question

Subject: Re: PC documentaion question
From: Aahz <aahz -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 1994 04:14:53 GMT

In article <TECHWR-L%94082915083206 -at- vm1 -dot- ucc -dot- okstate -dot- edu>,
Karen Molloy <kmolloy -at- bbn -dot- com> wrote:

>How do manuals for PC applications word the cpu hardware requirement
>these days?

>Is the phrase "IBM 486 PCs and compatibles" an out-of-date phrase? It's
>been pointed out to me that that phrase may no longer be appropriate,
>for an obvious reason.

>Do documents now state "Intel 486 and compatibles" or do they no longer
>mention a brand?

I'd probably say something like, "IBM compatible computer with Intel 486
processor or equivalent."

Because I'm documenting hardware, I'd also add, "...and a PC-AT bus."
(Or possibly, "...and a 16-bit ISA bus.")
--
--- Aahz (@netcom.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6
Androgynous kinky vanilla queer het

The best way to get information on Usenet is not to ask a question,
but to post the wrong information.