Re: Ventura vs. FrameMaker

Subject: Re: Ventura vs. FrameMaker
From: Bob Handlin 1331 <BHandlin -at- CHIPCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 1994 14:36:00 PDT

My career (and my love or tools) has given me the good fortune of becoming
an expert on both packages. The answer is:

FRAME FRAME FRAME FRAME FRAME

It's an absolute horse for producing long documents.

You can not only open multiple docs, but can also cut and paste long
sections, and the graphics come along automatically. If you become educated
on the inner-workings of the program, you can automate all kinds of things.

It's a better, faster, easier-to-use tool. The best proof I can offer is
that in our department, which made the transition from Ventura to Frame,
writers dread the occasional project that requires returning to Ventura.

The conversion process is a pain. The filter doesn't work properly. Frame
is a dog on an under-powered PC (I have a 486/50 w/16 Mb of RAM). Frame
steals memory and doesn't give it back. Despite all of that it's a much
stronger product than Ventura, hands down.

It's also a more marketable skill at this point. Ventura is falling off the
map.

Bite the bullet. You'll suffer a bit, but a year from now you'll be very
happy.

Later,
Bob

bhandlin -at- chipcom -dot- com