Re: A bit more about wp programs.

Subject: Re: A bit more about wp programs.
From: Richard Sobocinski <"Richard_G_Sobocinski%~WHC207"@CCMAIL.PNL.GOV>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 1994 16:48:00 -0700

Here are my opinions, based on extensive experience with WordPerfect
(DOS versions 4.2 to 6.0b; very little time on 6.0) but no long document
experience, and intensive experience with Word for Windows 6.0a over the
past two months in my current job documenting a voicemail board. I'll
try to direct my comments toward the issues in technical writing.

recommend Word for technical writing because of problems with its table
feature.

======================================
I have used WP5.1 for long docs and have been very pleased
with it. The docs I did were highly formated and made use of
auto numbering, tables, cross-references, TOC, lists, and
Master-Sub document codes. The links for cross-refs, lists,
and TOC were carried across 6 sub-documents. When generated
witht the Master it topped out at about 2 MB and did not give
me any problems, although even the WP tech rep told me it
wouldn't work. I agree that MSWord is *not* appropriate for
long tech docs.

Rich