Re: Ventura vs. FrameMaker

Subject: Re: Ventura vs. FrameMaker
From: Joe Fockler <jfockler -at- IPHASE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 1994 13:32:02 -0500

Heather,

I work with Frame running in Windows and Frame on a workstation. There is
no comparison - UNIX version runs much faster. If your document contains
graphics and/or is rather lengthy the PC is unbearable slow. My PC is a
386/33 MHz and I use an STB Systems PowerGraph X-24 video adapter. (The
adapter is great and fast.) If you have a Pentium (586) or even a 486/66
MHz you'll notice an increase in performance. In any case the more RAM
the better. I have 8 MB and it just isn't enough!

I used Ventura 3.0 (DOS) and Ventura 4.01 (Windows) and loved it. Frame
gives you a lot of flexibility in typographic controls without the need
to apply it to every paragraph with the particular tag. Ventura offered
some nice features too.

If I had only a PC to work on and time to complete a document was
critical, I would go with Ventura. I would install Frame and use it when
time was not the critical issue.

If you have any specific questions please direct them to my email
address. I will do my best to answer them.

Thanks--
From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000====
* | *
* Joe Fockler | "The price of greatness is responsibility." *
* Interphase Corporation | *
* Dallas, Texas 75234 | -- Winston Churchill *
* | *
* jfockler -at- iphase -dot- com | "He that brings hope, brings leadership." *
* | *
* | -- unknown *
From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000====