Grammar of "using"

Subject: Grammar of "using"
From: Mark Levinson <mark -at- SD -dot- CO -dot- IL>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 1994 13:28:13 IST

"You can graph an expression in a document using the Graphic Calculator."

But how would I explain it grammatically?

** From your list, I would choose "a participle used adverbally to
modify the verb 'graph.'"

You could say...

You can graph an expression using the Graphic Calculator
or delete it using the Delete key.

... so the "using" belongs to the predicate, where I put the "or".
If the "using" were modifying the pronoun "You" then the "or" wouldn't
work.

The word "by" would be a valuable addition to the sentence ("by using"
would show that graphing, not the document, is what uses the
Graphic Calculator) but I don't believe it's grammatically necessary.
Mark L. Levinson | E-mail: mark -at- sd -dot- co -dot- il
Summit EDA Technologies | Voice: +972-9-507102, ext. 230 (work),
Box 544 | +972-9-552411 (home)
46105 Herzlia, ISRAEL | Fax: +972-9-509118
If God intended one space between sentences, why do we have two thumbs?