Re: Criteria for hiring

Subject: Re: Criteria for hiring
From: "David L. Bergart" <bodafu -at- CCVAX -dot- SINICA -dot- EDU -dot- TW>
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 1994 19:51:25 +0008

Richard Mateosian <srm -at- C2 -dot- ORG>:

>I agree strongly with [an objection to being judged as a writer according
>to the number of tools we know]. But when I stopped fighting it and added
>some hot-button keywords to my resume, I got a lot more work.

I agree with Richard. If, as so many have stated, we are able to learn to
use new tools quickly, why not invest a bit of personal time and do so. We
don't need to master them; just learn enough of the fundamental operations to
so we can fake it while getting up to speed. The confusion typical of the
first few days on a new job can mask a great deal of panic, especially when
bolstered with some skillful misdirection.

However unimportant the "hot-button keywords" are to the performance of our
professional work, when we are at an interview we are working for ourselves,
and our job is NOT writing, but getting hired.

David

bodafu -at- ccvax -dot- sinica -dot- edu -dot- tw