Re: more peeves

Subject: Re: more peeves
From: Gwen Gall <ggall -at- CA -dot- ORACLE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 1994 11:01:09 EDT

Matt Hicks says:

Lastly, what about putting things in _quotes_ for emphasis. No "dogs"
allowed. I saw at least three examples of this practice yesterday (of
course, I can't remember any of them specifically, but that's how it
goes.)
**************************

Quotes are so often misused and misunderstood:

For several months, there was a sign up on an old building, advertising that
the developers were going to tear the building down and build high-class
condominiums there. The last sentence on the sign was:

13 UNITS "ALREADY" PRE-SOLD.

I had to drive by it every morning on the way to work. It drove my husband and
me absolutely crazy whenever we noticed it (and especially on grumpy mornings).
Actually, we had good fun speculating on what they really meant by that.
We figured, if they were using the quotation marks correctly, that they were
admitting that they weren't "really" "already pre-sold". We must have been
right: eventually, the sign was removed, and the derelict building remains.

Take care, and may your dog go with you,

Gwen