Re: Pet Peeves

Subject: Re: Pet Peeves
From: Barb Philbrick <barb -dot- philbrick -at- PCOHIO -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 1994 09:12:00 -0500

B>>Hi! What are your writing pet peeves?
B>How about:

B>utilize/utilizing

Add another vote for this one!

B>Windows environment (when refering to GUI in general)
B>interface (as a verb)
B>robust
B>user friendly
B>facility (although it may be used effectively in some situations)
B>computerized
B>program ("application" is better)

will - most products *do* something
may - usually should be might or can
very (and most other adverbs)
virtually - almost, practically can be used instead, if anything
Latin words - replace with English equivalents: e.g. - for example; i.e.
- that is; and so on.
component - part
facilitate - help or make easier
implement - do or use
terminate - end or exit
accomplish - perform or do
depress - press or push
discontinue - stop
initiate - start
"which" used in restrictive clauses
& - and

I also have some phrases that I regularly remove:

are able to - can
is/are used to - usually isn't needed

Barb

barb -dot- philbrick -at- pcohio -dot- com
---
~ CMPQwk 1.4 #9107 ~ Enter any 11-digit prime number to continue