Re: Does Success Depend on Knowledge of What's Ahead?

Subject: Re: Does Success Depend on Knowledge of What's Ahead?
From: Nora Merhar <merhar -at- ALENA -dot- CORP -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 1994 16:17:31 CDT

We'll see if this message gets to the list--my last one didn't, and I thought
it was pretty harmless...

Shelly-I agree that you should have as much information as possible about
where to go, how to look, and how to conduct yourself. One thing BGSU did
pretty well for me was to prepare me to interview. Since, at the age of 24,
I had never worn a suit, put together a resume or portfolio, or talked to
a REAL LIVE CORPORATE RECRUITER (scary) I was not what you'd call a bundle
of self-confidence. I remember watching a movie about blacklisted Hollywood
screenwriters who wrote under other names and thinking "Well at least THEY have
jobs!" I was obsessed.

Of course you won't know the job market until you're in it, but there are tips
and tricks you can use to make your transition a little easier. How to talk to
interviewers, what kind of clothes to wear, when to make the follow-up phone
call, etc.--these are things you could learn in a class, or from a book.

I don't think that dropping you in the pond and telling you to swim is good
preparation, or very kind, so if you have any questions I'll try to answer them.

Nora
merhar -at- switch -dot- rockwell -dot- com