Re: Certification for Technical Communicators

Subject: Re: Certification for Technical Communicators
From: doug montalbano <doug_montalbano -at- CC -dot- CHIRON -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 1994 12:58:50 PST

Mike Uhl (MU17692%USA -dot- decnet -at- USAV01 -dot- GLAXO -dot- CO) posted a cogent argument for
certification of technical communicators. He ended with:

Hell, this isn't a new thread; it's a jihad!

Boy, is it ever. I work in the pharmaceutical industry (biotech), and
there is a relevant group doing this kind of certification: the Council
of Biology Editors (CBE), Inc.

They are based in (I think) Rockville, MD. They offer study courses,
plus an 8-hr exam at the end of which, if you pass, and if you meet
other criteria (mostly experience and education related), AND if you
pay a nice fee, you are certified by the Board. If you work for a
company that pays for your ongoing education, this might work for you.
If you don't, well, I guess it depends on how much you're willing to
pay for a competitive edge. Uh oh.....

They also publish several books on style, economics and illustration
standards for scientific writing and editing.

Doug Montalbano, Chiron Corporation, Emeryville, CA
Disclaimer: I claim dis, not dem.