Re: Do you equate engineers and programmers?

Subject: Re: Do you equate engineers and programmers?
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- CORE -dot- CORP -dot- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 1994 10:17:10 -0500

>So...what do you think?

You're right. I've privately referred to it as the "priesthood mentality."
They are the Initiates of the Mysteries. They are the Acolytes at the
Shrine. We are merely commoners, the mundane. They have the direct line to
all knowledge, and we should be happy they deign to favor us with their
presence. They will spoon-feed us the knowledge they see fit to give us and
we should like it.

The internal resistance to change within this power structure comes from
the same personality trait that kept (keeps?) hazing alive in fraternities.
There's a perception that every person who would drink from the font of
their knowledge must also follow the same path up the heirarchy as they
did.

Have Fun,
Arlen

Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com
IN GOD WE TRUST --- All others must provide data